1. Farmingdale's Aviation Origins:
Located in Farmingdale, Long Island, Republic Airport is a historically significant airport to the region and the world that played both military and civilian roles.
"The Industrial Revolution and Production of Aircraft came to Farmingdale during the First World War, when Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Breese founded their pioneering factories in the community." wrote Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas in his book Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale (Arcadia Publishing, 2016, p. 9). "They were attracted by the presence of two Long Island Railroad branches … a nearby road 24 that brought car and truck traffic to Manhattan and Fifty-Ninth Street Bridge, flying fields and proximity to qualified workers …"
The first air roots in this the area was planted as early as 1917. Lawrence Sperry Airplane Company, founded this year with a capital of $ 50,000, Richard Street in the village of Farmingdale, produced the first plane in the form of Messenger
Designed by Alfred Verville of the US Army Engineering Division at McCook Field, a 17.9-foot-long miniature biplane designed for a "motorcycle" mission, going out in small remote places to leave and picking up messages from field masters, thereby gaining its name. Agricultural roots of Farmingdale were equally cultivated by Sydney Breese, whose Breese Aircraft, based on the eastern motorway, was designed by Penguin. Like the Bleriot XI aircraft, a mid wing aircraft powered by a 28-horsepower Lawrence engine, it was a non-flying pre-flight trainer whose purpose was to help the US military pilot's transition from primary to operational. Deployed in the open Texas prairie, it caused too short wings to create a lift, but it allowed beginner pilots to get the feeling of aerodynamic forces before going to their horizontal tail. Of the 301 produced, only five were used for this purpose; the rest was stored.
2. Fairchild Aviation Corporation:
When Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Breese established the Farmingdale Air Force Foundation, Sherman M. Fairchild consolidated it.
He was originally interested in aerial photography, founded the Fairchild Aerial Camera Corporation in 1920, and later expanded the company into Fairchild Aircraft Surveys to engage in mapping when he received a contract for the next 20 years.
In order to replace so many machines he operated, Fairchild designed the required specifications for one, but could not find a manufacturer who could build it at a reasonable price. He was forced to do so himself, founded his third airline, Fairchild Aviation Corporation, and moved to the Sperry Factory in South Farmingdale, released as a result of the tragic death of the founder Sperry in December 1923.
Highland, one of the first prototype flights in 1926 a closed and heated cockpit protection cab and its camera equipment, but its original OX-5 engine proved to be inadequate.
Production version FC-2, supported by wheels, floats or skis, has increased cabin volume. Powered by the 200-horsepower Wright J-5 system, the airplane designed for commercial operations was equipped with an overall length of 44 inches. The only pilot and four passengers, or up to 820 pounds of cargo, had a total weight of 3,400 pounds and reached a maximum speed of 122 mph and operated 700 miles of segments.
Demand at the South Farmingdale factory soon loaded capacity. After the country focused on the area, Fairchild itself chose 77,797 acres on the southern side of Highway 24 and Conklin Street in East Farmingdale, a place where the predominant South Shore winds and terrestrial access to more land through the railroad and main corridor Route 110, which would facilitate the transport of people and raw materials to a new field.
"The 77,967 hectare Fairchild Flying Field was developed at the end of the winter and early spring 1928 and was originally owned and operated by Fairchild Engine and Airplane Manufacturing Company," according to the Long Island-Republic Airport. "The first flights from (it) took place in the late spring of 1928 after Fairchild's aircraft and Fairchild Engine were completed, and Fairchild's aircraft were built on 41, 41A, 42, 21, 100, and 150 planes …" 19659002] The wings, like the Hempstead Plains in the west, again grew from the Long Island Fields, built, powered and supported by Fairchild's Fairchild Engine Factory and Fairchild Flying Field by Faircam Realty, Inc., bought land and its initial layout was established November 3, 1927.
Although Fairchild produced several models in his new Long Island Air Center, his roots would quickly turn out to be invariable. She moved her headquarters to Hagerstown, Maryland, in 1931, just three years later, released her facility that was almost instantly occupied by the US corporation, or AVCO, whose aircraft and engine division produced the Pilgrim 100 for American Airways. But the depression, which has thwarted the economy, has greatly reduced demand for it because the acquisition of aircraft was high on the list of lowering the company's costs, and its presence proved to be shorter than Fairchild's. By mid-1932, it had disappeared.
3. Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation
Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation was originally located in the Valley Stream Valley where it designed the vessels and moved further east to Fairchild Flying Field and joined the former Fulton Truck Factory, the production fighter FF-1. Driven by one 750-horsepower Wright engine, the biplane with retractable chassis was also offered as a scout like the SF-1
The most significant aircraft that emerged from the East Farmingdale production line was the duck. He tracked his origins at the Loening Aeronautical Engineering Corporation XO2L-1, was submitted to the US Navy in 1931, but because Loening himself lacked the necessary equipment for his construction, he turned to Leroy Grumman, his former colleague, submitting it in a modified form. Adopted on April 25, 1933, a biplane called XJF-1 was powered by a 700-horsepower Twin-Wasp engine that controlled the Hamilton Standard three-liter propeller. His backrest, which consisted of one set of struts, which was outside the fuselage and the other of the wire between the two wings, was minimal for its day. The water operations were supported by a center line below the hull surface into which the chassis was extended.
In total, 632 JF and J2F Ducks were pressed into the global service with more functions
Although Grumman's agricultural presence exceeded everything else, it ended in half a decade, in 1937 when it moved to the larger headquarters in Bethpage, Long Island
4. Seversky Aircraft Corporation
The Nordic Aviation Corporation moved to the center of Farmingdale when it moved from College Point in Queens, occupying a former US factory
Honorary ACA World War I, Alexander P. de Seversky, like Igor Sikorsky, he moved to the US from Russia, and in 1923 he developed the first gyroscopically stabilized bomb in Sperry Gyroscope before setting up his own Seversky Aero Corporation, which focused on aircraft tools and components
Its first major construction, SEV-3, was both aerodynamically elegant and progressive, reflecting the Nordic Aviation-intuitive nature. Driven by a 420-horsepowered Wright J-6 Whirlwind engine, a full-metal low-cost plane equipped with a pilot and two passengers in sliding cabs with a tandem booth was either supported by a wheeled chassis or craft, and in 1933 introduced a world speed record for piston amphibians. Two years later, September 15, it reached a speed of 230 mph
The creation of many subsequent versions, which externally showed only minor variations over the basic design, developed into another major iteration, the BT-8. As the first all-metal, enclosed cockpit design operated by the US Army Air Corps, it was 24.4 feet long and the wings span 36 feet. Driven by Pratt and Whitney R-985-11 with a power of 400 hp, a four-cylinder airplane with a capacity of £ 4,050 has a maximum speed of 175 mph. Thirty was built.
Originally occupied by Hangar 2 on a new road and now used by the US Air Force, Seversky Aircraft Corporation took over the Grumman factory in 1937, when it moved to Bethpage to maintain two facilities. But due to the short history of East Farmingdale's renters, it was a sudden end: though, like many other aerospace "geniuses", Nordic had the necessary engineering skills to create progressive aircraft, lacked the managerial flip-side of the equation needed to design the right and profitable business a plan to market them, resulting in a loss of $ 550,000 by April 1939. During six months of European sales operations on October 13, he was expelled from his own board of directors who voted to remove him from the company he founded.
Reorganized, was rebranded by "Republic Aviation Corporation."
5. Republic Airlines:
The Justice of the Flying Field was about to change. Fueled by World War II, an emerging Republican air corporation would explode in size and its roots would be so deeply implanted in farmland that it would be decades before they were uncovered.
Instrumental in the war was the Republic of P-47 Thunderbolt.
The success of the Seversky P-35 was the result of the demands of the Army Air Corps, which included a speed of 400 mph, a 25,000-foot service cap, at least six machine guns with 50 gallons, a self-sealing fuel tank and a minimum fuel capacity of 315 gallons.
The Republic of P-47 Thunderbolt, which surpassed all other aircraft, was the largest, heaviest, one-man strategic WWII warrior who offered unrivaled speed of diving
The raging increase of the officially renamed "Republic of the Republic" resulted in the extension of an existing factory to the southern on the side of Conklin Street, as well as the construction of three other buildings, the installation of the tower control and the extension of the existing tracks, all in an effort to support P-47 production, which in Farmingdale totally amounted to 9,087 units and required a 24,000 workforce to be completed by the year 1944. Employees filtered thousands every day. The hour-long production line emptied the finished aircraft from the factory every hour, then transferred to the Air Force Women or WASP pilot units. The Republic of Aviation, one of the primary defense arteries in the country, pumped man and machinery into Farmingdale's agricultural areas, and transformed it into an arsenal of democracy within 18 months.
"By 1945, the Republic contributed more than 30 percent of the Air Force soldiers fighting the war effort against the Luftwaffe in the European sky," wrote Leroy E. Douglas in his article "Conklin Street Cut-Off," published in September 1984 in Long Island Forum (page 182). "So the Republic, the Ranger and her 23,000 plus workers – more than half of whom were women – were involved in the war."
When the World War II door was closed, and the Thunderbolt factory, the Republic was forced to diversify its assortments in terms of purpose and propulsion units, rebuilding the Douglas C-54 Skymasters into commercial DC-4 aircraft, producing 1,059 civilian amphibian aircraft Seabee and attempting to design their own passenger transport  The resulting aircraft, Republic XF-12 Rainbow – along with competing and identical-powered Hughes XF-11 both received a contract for two.
The emblem of the lovely lines of Lockheed Constellation, Rainbow, representing a total length of 93.9 feet, and the built-in design experience gained during the development of the Republican fighter aircraft, radiated the look that was basically captured by the Aviation Week magazine and Space Technology magazine, nose and cylindrical l shape of the XF-12 cigar meets the designers' dream of uncompromising design with aerodynamic considerations. "
Peace proved hostilities to the aircraft. The end of World War II overturned its (and the comparable need for the Hughes XF-11). However, due to its exploration capability with limited long distance visibility, high speed and high day and night visibility, it was ideal as a land mapping platform. In fact, on September 1, 1948, the second of the only two aircraft built photographed his transcontinental flight path from the Air Force Flight Testing Center in Muroc, California, to Mitchell Field in Garden City, Long Island, during Operation Birds Eye
He returned to its military roots, the Republic entered a purely jet era with the successor of the P-47 Thunderbolt.
A length of 37.5 feet was conceived shortly before the end of the war in 1944, with propeller airplanes.
The first flight on February 28, 1946, the 19689-pound fighter-bomber, designated the F-84 Thunderjet and capable of climbing at 4,210-fpm, established a national speed record of 611 mph, powered by the 3,750-pound J35-GE-7. Its range was 1.282 miles and its service ceiling was 40,750 feet.
The development of his successor began in 1949. Due to the lack of funding for air forces, the Republic has reduced its development costs by maintaining a 60 per cent consistency with the F-84 but introducing tangled wings. The Allison XJ35-A-25 engine, originally designated as the YF-96A, first flew 3 June next year, three months before it was renamed the F-84F Thunderstreak
– an increase in the number of allowances allowed Republic to complete the second prototype that first flew the YJ65-W-1 on February 14, 1951, followed by the first production example that came to the sky on November 22, 1952.
Production of the F-84F Thunderstreak reached 2713 aircraft
However, Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas summed up the production of aircraft in the republics as they stated in their book "Manufacture of Aircraft" in Farmingdale (pp. 7-8). "While aviation began in Farmingdale with fabrics covered with triplanes and biplane and connecting engines, after the Second World War, the Republic helped move the United States to the F-84 and F-84F to assist the US forces in Korea and NATO nations in the 1950s. "
6. Fairchild Republic Corporation
Although Fairchild left the airport he created in 1931, this absence was short-lived. Three years later, he re-appeared in a former engine factory as a newly-established Ranger Aircraft and Engine Corporation and stayed there until 1948. But history should have taken a full cycle.
The acquisition of Hiller Helicopters nine years later became Fairchild Hiller and in July 1965 he bought most of the population of the Republic, leading to the Republic Aviation Fairchild Hiller Division. Fairchild returned to the land where she planted her first seed. In 1971, she continued to buy, bought Swearingen, and manufactured and launched a 19-passenger Fairchild-Swearingen Metro. The following year, the company received the official title of "Fairchild Republic."
Designed for the A-10 Thunderbolt II and using the 733 Production Run, it was a tool for the Gulf War and the Air Force, during Operation Iraqi Freedom
7. Post-war production:
Although airport airport and its airlines were associated with mostly military military design and production, various commercial and space components
Integral to Boeing 747, were also the front edge edges, rear edges , spoilers and ailerons built by Fairchild Hiller's Republic Aviation while being forbidden to provide a similar role in the proposed, but abolished, 2707 hybrid aircraft.
Following the conclusion of a $ 13 million contract from Rockwell International in Los Angeles March 29, 1973, Fairchild Hiller designed six aluminum vertical stabilizers, stepped edges and 27 feet long, 22 feet long, in hangar 17 along with their associated rudders and speed brakes. The first, installed on the Enterprise test vehicle, allowed the British Air Force Base to start a 746-based atmospheric launch at the Edwards Air Force Base while the others were mounted on Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavor.
On 25 January 1980, Fairchild Republic expanded with Saab-Scania from Sweden to expand its attendance at the Swearingen Metro. It launched SF-340, which became the first fully-fledged US-European aircraft manufacturer. Fairchild Republic was entrusted with the construction and construction of its wings, engine gondolas and vertical and horizontal tail finishes in Sweden
Fairchild Swearingen gained American marketing responsibility, while the joint Swedish company Saab-Fairchild HB has set up an office in Paris to
Powered by twin turboprop engines, 34 planes were arranged in the aircraft in a four-stage configuration with a central aisle
After finishing about 100 wing sets, Fairchild terminated its contracted work on regional aircraft, withdrew from all civilian projects, and the aircraft was redesignated to Saab 340.
8. [Upravit překlad] Change Role
Passed Torch Ownership On March 31, 1969, the Republican Airport was formerly run by Metropolitan Transportation Authorities (MTA), which continued to transform it into a public use entity by acquiring 94 acres of land from the US government and purchasing another 115 private in the south and southwest.
"The Metropolitan Transportation Authority takes the title at the airport of the Republic as the first step in its transformation into General Aviation (Field)," according to the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society.
The launch of the modernization program has made several improvements. High-intensity luminaires were installed on a 5,166-foot 1-19 and 6,827-track 14-32, the other with a landing system (ILS). The original Fulton Truck Factory, the original 1916 airport, was destroyed, while Flightways converted a 109-acre plot of land into a new complex of hangars, office buildings, fuel tanks, and planes to the north of Route 109. The two-level building for administration, terminals and maintenance was opened in 1983, near and shortly before the operational launch of the 2.2 meter FAA control tower.
In order to promote the economic development of the surrounding countryside, the New York legislature transferred the property of the Third State Department of Transportation (DOT) on April 1, 1983, which was recommended by the nine-member republican airport committee.
Eight years later, the Grumman Corporate Hangar was repaired at $ 3.5 million and 25,000 square meters, replacing the storage space of the aircraft previously held at Bethpage Airport, which was now closed and housed by Beechcraft King Air , (19659002) In April 1993, on the eastern side of Route 110, a broken area for SUNY Farmingdale Air and Training Center was built at 20,000 square meters.
Million Air, a subsidiary of Executive Air Support, built the Executive Air Terminal and the company hangar at the southern end of the Air Terminal and a hangar, and by 2001 Air East had its operations in the new, 10,000-square-foot Hangar, which also was a 2500-square-foot shop and an office and flight school of 4,500 square feet. Another hangar and office complex in the Lambert area opened its doors in June 2005, when Talon Air was launched.
In order to secure the higher permits needed by the newest generations of company nozzles such as Gulfstream V and Bombardier Global Express, the B (bravo)
has been relocated. In fact, more than $ 18 million has been made since 2000 of capital
These improvements, for their new, general role in aviation, were probably a precursor to future events.
In 1982, Fairchild Republic received a contract to build two T-46A new-generation training nozzles; but the milestone initially represented as a currency rescue line only provided the opposite effect: although the prototype was first exported three years later, it lacked some 1200 parts, and although the other carried out a successful 24-minute first flight in July 1986, the contract was canceled on the program which ended with the disputed division, resulting in the dismissal of 500 employees.
Like many companies dependent on military survival contracts, the Fairchild Republic, without choice, ceased to exist in the following year, leaving a key factory and heritage that began six decades ago. It is ironic that the two names, which were the most important from the beginning and growth of the airport – Fairchild and Republic – were the same two who contributed to its extinction. The two main chapters of the production and test aircraft at Farmingdale were thus closed and those that were open for their general aviation.
"With the company experiencing major financial problems in 1986-1987 and the loss of support for the T-46A program in Congress, Fairchild shut down SF-340 and T-46A after building only four aircraft," he says Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas of Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale (page 99). "So, in the autumn of 1987, seventy years of Farmingdale aircraft production ended in employment and economic losses to the community and the metropolitan area of New York."
In 1966, the year after the takeover of the Republic of Fairchild Hiller Airport to Farmingdale Corporation, it was officially designated as the General Aircraft (Civil) Facility, the first landing, the two-engine Beechcraft run by Ramey Air Service of Islip, . For the purpose of its conversion to the gate by facilitating air links at the three major airports in New York, Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Air Spur concluded a four-year contract to supply this service
Although the Republic never considered it a major trading airport, its central location a long island, proximity to the Route 110 corridor and extensive infrastructure allowed it to have limited, regular and charter services at key business and leisure destinations of neighboring states. Nevertheless, his own operational limitations were briefly stated in the Master Airport Plan 2000.
"At the Republic of the Republic" explains (Chapter 3, p. 8) that "the New York State Department of Transportation has introduced a weight limit on the aircraft of 60,000 pounds in 1984. This weight limitation restricts the operation of aircraft of actual gross weight above 60,000 pounds without the written permission of the airport operator. "
" Prognoses show that the number of jet aircraft based on the Republic of the Republic will increase ", as stated in the update Master Plan, "as well as an increase in jet engine operations," which ultimately proves annual net operating statistics: 2,792 in the fiscal year 1986, 4,056 in 1990, 4,976 in 1995 and 6,916 in 1998, and of its average number of airplanes – around 500 – this segment was also fastest growing: 10 aircraft in 1985, 15 in 1995 and 20 in 1998. This figure has more than doubled o
One of the first attempts to operate a scheduled airline was made in 1978 when Cosmopolitan Airlines, which operated ex-Finnair Convair CV-340 and two ex Swissair CV-440 Metropolitans in single, four-stage configurations, offered all- inclusive one-day charter packages to Atlantic City from its Cosmopolitan Sky Center. His flyer recommended: "Fly to Atlantic City at a net price of only $ 19.95 This is how it works: You will pay for one-way ticket to Atlantic City for $ 44.95, including land transport to and from Claridge and Casino, you will receive 20, $ 00 in food and drink credit in every restaurant except the London pavilion.You will also get a $ 5.00 credit card that's good for the next fight with Claridge at Cosmopolitan Airlines. "
The carrier also briefly attempted to offer two daily regular return flights to Boston on his CV-440 in 1980.
Facilitating this regular service growth was to build a passenger terminal
"The Terminal Building, completed in 1983, has approximately 50,000 square feet of usable floor areas and aircraft houses , maintenance, fire protection, public terminal spaces and rental areas on the first floor, and administrative offices in the second Employees are working in the building, "in line with the 2000 Masterplan Airport Update (Chapter 1, p.
By attempting to establish a link between Farmingdale and Newark International Newark International Metro Airport in New York to plan departure, PBA Provincetown Boston Airline has launched a Cessna C-402 commuter shuttle, linking Long Island with 30-minute air hops, with up to five daily round trips and coordination with PEOPLExpress Airlines. It promoted avoidance of excessive driving times, parking costs and longer clearance requirements that are otherwise related to the use of larger airports and offered the convenience of passes, tickets and baggage checks to any final destination PEOPLExpress
According to the Northern System Timetable of 20 June 1986 offered Farmingdale departures at 0700, 0950, 1200, 1445 and 1755.
The demand soon required the replacement of the C-402 for the larger, 19-digit Embraer EMB-110
All these short and unsuccessful attempts to make unjustifiable fear local people that the Republic eventually developed into a large commercial airport and caused noise in the ears, could not attract the necessary traffic to provide self-sustaining and highlight several airport-specific factors.
1). The Republic was consistently associated with general and unscheduled operations during the second part of its history
2). Long Island MacArthur has already become a major commercial property on the island, and as Precision / Northwest Airlink has demonstrated, they have not gained any revenue gain by diluting the same market, but the increased cost of airport and operating costs
different carriers and each of them has terminated the service … "" According to the Upgrading of the Airport Master Plan in 2000. "The market for occasional carriers is geographically limited taking into account larger airports such as La Guardia, Kennedy and MacArthur and the service "
" Since 1969, the Republic of the Republic has adapted to the needs of the airport region for both private and commercial aircraft as well as charter and commuting operations ", also states (Chapter 1, p. 1)." Given that the Republic located in the middle of residential, commercial and industrial development, is it roles inconsistent with the roles of a regular air carrier for commercial traffic. "
With the number of passengers constantly increasing – from 13,748 in 1985 and 30,564 in 1990 to 33,854 in 1995 – his future role of commuter she could not completely rule out.
"While past airline efforts have not been successful, there is potential for a future service that needs to be considered at airport planning", concluded (Chapter 2, p. 10)
In contrast to Roosevelt's and Glenn Curtiss's fields, which were subject to modern pressures and exchanged their runways for shopping malls, the 526-hectare Republic gave up only a small portion of the Airport Plaza shopping center. Instrumentální v oblasti rozvoje v raném letectví a v korejských, vietnamských, zálivových a iráckých válkách se přeměnil na obecné letecké zařízení, na vrcholu letadel založených na 546 letech a stal se třetím největším letištěm v New Yorku, pokud jde o pohyby po JFK International and La Guardia.
Billing itself as "the corporate airbridge for Long Island's 21st-century economy," this westernmost Long Island general aviation facility accounts for 1,370 jobs and $139.6 million of economic activity, supporting 60 on-airport businesses. The 110,974 movements recorded in 2008 encompassed 52 by non-rigid airships, 7,120 by rotary wing, 76,236 by single-engine pistons, 6,310 by twin-engine pistons, 5,028 by turboprops, and 16,228 by pure-jets. The latter, its second-highest total, emphasizes its increasing role as the "Teterboro of Long Island," perhaps pointing the way to its future. Indeed, companies considering the area for their corporate locations cite the airport as a major asset, since it provides close-proximity aerial access for personnel and materials.
Toward that end, the State of New York approved funding in April of 2009 for a Vision Planning process to collect data from residents, employees, businesses, and users, and then plot its future course. Specifically, the program had a three-fold purpose-namely, to define the airport's role, to determine how it will fill that role, and, finally, to ascertain how it will work with the community to attain the desired operational and economic goals.
"As part of the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS), Republic Airport is designated as a reliever airport with commercial service," according to the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update (Chapter 1, p. 1). "Under ownership by the New York State Department of Transportation, there are specific state development and policy procedures which are followed."
Although it may never eclipse its current general aviation role, its importance was not to be underestimated.
""Republic Airport is an important regional asset," it stated (Chapter 1, p. 1). "It provides significant transportation and economic benefits to both Suffolk and Nassau counties. The policy of the New York State Department of Transportation and the Republic Airport Commission shall be that Republic Airport continue to better serve Long Island."
Whatever the future holds for it, it has a nine-decade foundation upon which to base it, as acknowledged by the plaque hung in the passenger terminal by the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society, "honor(ing) the tens of thousands of men and women who labored here in East Farmingdale, contributing significantly to aviation technology and aircraft production." Those men and woman turned the wheels of the 11 aviation companies based there.
Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society website.
Neubeck, Ken, and Douglas, Leroy E. Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2016.
2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update, New York State Department of Transportation.