Patient experience full hip replacement surgery

The situation

You have recently had a full range of hip joints or as it is more commonly known for hip replacement.

I decided to tell about my experience as a patient in order to help other potential patients make a decision about whether they should go ahead and perform this particular process.

I am an active man over 65 years old and still working in the foreign yacht charter business and whenever possible, I walk my dog ​​regularly.

The pain in the right hip joint gradually crept into me until I asked my general practice to organize an X-ray. This showed some deterioration and arthritis in that hip, but he advised me to take some mild anti-inflammatory and not go any further at that point.

The naproxen that was prescribed for the pain was kept at the bottom but gradually over time this increased until I decided to feel another x-ray.

These X-rays showed a rapid deterioration of arthritis in this groin and as a result I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon.


He explained to me that what was going to happen in the operation warned me that there is a small percentage of difficulties and that I would have a little less movement in the hip after the operation, but it was encouraging for the quality and length of the new hip, so I decided to go ahead.

the operation

She got epidural in the spine and went to the operating room at about 8 pm on Thursday. I recovered by ten o'clock that evening and went back to the ward.

The next morning after breakfast the physiotherapist came to see me and took me out of bed and walked on crutches before lunchtime.

When the surgeon came to see me, he explained, in abnormal terms, that there was a direct connection between the thigh bone and the bone in my legs, which illustrated the pain I was suffering from. It was clear that there was no alternative but to implement this or a similar procedure.

On Sunday the next day, the physiotherapist made me walk more distances on crutches as well as up and down.

Physiotherapy continued on Monday and afternoon, I was able to go home.


I received some daily exercises and was advised not to drive for six weeks.

The essential parts of the equipment I needed during recovery were a straight back armchair to help me get up and down, a high toilet seat and a pressure care pillow to sit on.

For the next six weeks the main difficulty I had was sleeping as I found it very difficult to find a comfortable position in bed.

During this period, I followed the exercises I went to a weekly session with a physiotherapist and did some hydrotherapy. The only medication I took was some paracetamol as needed and some anticoagulant tablets.

After two weeks I managed to walk with only one crutch and after four weeks I didn't need crutches.


It has now been four months since I haven't had any painkillers in the last two months, I've been walking almost every day with a dog and I've been sailing on a yacht.

I am more active than I was several years ago and not aware of all the operations performed on the hip joint.

For anyone who has allowed the hip joint to degrade to the extent that it does, I highly recommend this procedure.

However, I still believe that natural remedies, weight control and diet can prevent or slow the onset of arthritis.